Prepared to Lose Your Glasses? 10 tips for selecting a LASIK or Laser Vision Correction CenterThe world of ophthalmology is one of the fastest developing fields of medicine. Never ever before have so many scientific developments and brand-new methods emerged in such a short amount of time. LASIK surgical treatment, which uses an excimer laser to improve the cornea, provides countless people the chance to lower or eliminate their requirement for glasses or contacts .
Tv and radio ads are filled with fantastic stories about LASIK surgical treatment as the fast and pain-free way to fix vision, however stories are also appearing about individuals for whom it was less than successful. Before you decide to go under the beam, what can you do to assist ensure that you will more than happy with your outcomes?
The essential to safe surgical treatment in any field of medicine is an informed client. Take a little time and research the LASIK center you are thinking about for laser eye surgery. Dr. Robert K. Maloney, voted by his peers as one of America's Top Ten vision correction cosmetic surgeons in a national study by Ophthalmology Times, uses the following guidelines to quality care and treatment.
1. Find a physician by getting recommendations from other physicians or from clients who have actually had LASIK or laser vision correction.
2. Don't be tricked by expensive advertisements about a specific laser center. Select the physician, not the laser center. Learn who will in fact do your see post treatment, then inquire about that medical professional's qualifications (e.g., board certification, special training).
3. Choose a doctor who has done at least 5,000 LASIK or eye laser surgical treatments. Exactly what a medical professional does not know can hurt you.
Ask for info on your physician's LASIK eye surgery complication rates. If your medical professional will not tell you, discover another one.
5. Ask exactly what measures are required to avoid infection. Search for a center with a dust-free or sterilized operating space. Ensure that non reusable parts are not recycled. Insist that your eye is completely decontaminated, and insist that the surgical instruments be sterilized prior to your eye laser surgery to remove the danger of transmission of HIV or hepatitis.
6. Beware of ads pressing "low cost" LASIK surgery. Discount rate surgical treatment is as great as a discount rate parachute. The prospective cost savings are not worth the threat of receiving less than professional care!
Anticipate to see very well after LASIK, but don't anticipate to see completely. As with any eye laser surgical treatment, results are as private as each client. Be careful of any medical professional who assures 20/20 vision.
8. If you feel like you're getting a difficult sell, you probably are. Go in other places. You're not purchasing a car; this is genuine LASIK eye surgery.
If your level of nearsightedness is more than -11 or so, implantable lenses will most likely provide much better vision than LASIK. Ask your doctor about them and other current advances.
10. While you examine, don't forget the benefits: for the majority of people, a life time of bad vision can be cured in 5 minutes. LASIK eye this surgical treatment has actually improved the eyesight of countless people around the world.